Tuesday 24 March 2015

Final Ten Images


These are the final ten images that I have chosen for my project. I found it quite difficult to narrow my selection down to just ten but decided I wanted my selection to concentrate on the details of each flower. I have mainly adhered to this apart from image number 3 which I chose as I really liked the effect that changing the image into black and white had, it was also chosen as I admire the work of Imogen Cunningham and wanted to emulate her images.


Image Number One.
This image was chosen as it shows clear, close up details of the centre of the flower. the arrangement of petals around the centre portion gives movement to the piece, it is almost like the petals are reaching forward towards the viewer. The use of the macro lens enabled me to capture high levels of detail of the flower, including the specks of pollen.

Image Number Two.
I chose this image as again, it showed in high detail a small selection of the flower. The image conveys an almost velvety texture and was inspired by an image by the photographer Ron Van Dongan. the centre portion of the image looks "deep" this gives the impression of depth to the picture.

Image Number Three.
This image follows the Rule Of Thirds with the main subject being central. The line running through the central portion of the picture adds structure and stops the flower from appearing to float in mid air, the difference in tone of the background  adds to this effect. The flower is highly textured seemingly being smooth and delicate to spiky and stiff. The shadows to the right of the image work well, the image was not under exposed so the details are not lost. These shadows help to convey the sense of texture.

Image Number Four.
This image shows the effect of using a large aperture to create a shallow depth of field. The main subject of the picture (the flower to the right) could have been easily lost against the same shape and colour of the flower in the background if I had made this portion in focus too. As it is, the in focus flower seems to be bursting out towards the viewer creating a lot of visual interest and movement in the piece. 

Image Number Five.
I have chosen this image for the high level of detail in the centre portion of the flower. You can almost imagine how bumpy it would feel. The purple colouring that radiates out from the centre adds movement and is a nice contrast to the white. The use of a large aperture has created a blurred background, this directs focus to the main subject of the image.

Image Number Six.
I have chosen this image as it was inspired by a photograph by James Thornbrook ( the second to last picture in my research) In his image, only a small selection of the flower was in focus giving the effect that the flower was reaching out towards the viewer. I think this image conveys that technique quite well with only the bottom edge of the flower being in focus. The yellow tapering triangle in the centre of the flower also adds to this effect. The yellow also contrasts with the purple adding visual interest.

Image Number Seven.
I have chosen this image because of the vividity  of the colours. It is a bright and cheerful piece. There is also some bokeh effects in the background which add visual interest.

Image Number Eight.
I have chosen this image as it shows, in detail, all the parts of the flower. The image is well composed with the subject reaching diagonally from the bottom left to top right, this draws the eye up toward the top of the flower where the petals are arranged in interesting shapes. I also like the bottom half of the picture with the petal almost reaching out towards the viewer.

Image Number Nine.
This image was again inspired by the work of Ron Van Dongan and again the image conveys a sense of velvity texture. The way the petals are arranged in a spiral radiating out from the centre of the flower adds movement to the image.

Image Number Ten.
I have chosen this image for the abundance of texture present as well as the high level of detail in the centre portion of the flower which I feel adds visual interest. I am pleased with how the use of lighting has created a range of different tones from the fairly dark shadows in between the petals and the light tips of the same petals.


No comments:

Post a Comment